CHILDREN’S & YOUTH PROGRAM DIRECTOR
PURPOSE, POSITION SUMMARY
Davis United Methodist Church (DUMC) believes that God is love. With that understanding a focus of our love is the children and youth in our congregation. In that spirit DUMC welcomes applicants for the position of CHILDREN’S AND YOUTH PROGRAM DIRECTOR.
This position is ideal for a person who embraces progressive Christianity and understands and wants to share that God’s love is extended to all persons without exception.
Reports to: Pastor, Children and Youth Ministries Committee (CYMC)
Part Time Position: approximately 25 hours/week. The coordinator needs to be able to work Sundays. Pay is $24/hour, depending on qualifications and experience.
- Work with the Pastor, CYMC, and volunteers to provide a compelling program that help pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade children and youth grow in their faith.
- Plan and implement Sunday school and youth programs as well as special programs, including Vacation Bible Camp, intergenerational programs, and service projects.
- Plan, implement, and lead weekly youth meetings on Sunday evenings.
- Coordinate nursery and childcare staff.
- Regularly assess programs, identifying improvements as necessary.
- Provide logistical support of program
- Provide for volunteers who teach and supervise weekly Sunday school, Vacation Bible Camp, and special programs.
- Understand and evaluate Sunday school curriculum.
- Ensure that program has necessary supplies.
- Substitute for teachers as necessary.
- Integrate with DUMC community
- Work with pastor as needed to present the Children’s Moment during Sunday services.
- Meet, welcome, and integrate new families into children’s and youth education program.
- Work with CYMC in outreach to families to expand the DUMC community.
Administration and Communication
- Develop and maintain communication about program with parents and larger church community
- Prepare for and attend CYMC meetings.
- Prepare calendar of activities which is then coordinated with larger church.
- Inform pastor about issues, concerns, plans, and perceived needs of children, youth, and families
- Work with Lead Child Care Staff to insure provision of childcare during events
- Implement, maintain, and monitor Safe Sanctuary (child abuse prevention and volunteer protection) policies for all staff and volunteers who work with children.
- Develop annual budget with CYMC and monitor throughout year to stay within approved budget.
Additional Duties: Perform additional duties as requested.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
A successful result in background check is a condition of employment.
- Comfortably and openly communicate the love of God.
- Share the theological, reconciling, and social justice values of DUMC. Ability to work with and support people from diverse ethnic, social, cultural, and economic backgrounds and sexual orientations.
- Excellent leadership, communication and collaboration skills, especially in supporting volunteers.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Education and experience in working with young children including an appreciation of developmental skills.
- Experience with religious education preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and manage diverse feedback.
We welcome applications via email to email@example.com
The job description and the DUMC application form are linked below. Please note that a full application includes a résumé and completed DUMC application form. A cover letter is useful but not required. Only full applications will be considered. No applicant phone calls or walk-ins please.